Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Staying Alive

Staying Alive is a game of personal identity.

From their site:

"Objective: The aim of the game is to stay alive!

How to play: There are three rounds. In each round, you will be presented with a scenario and then offered two choices. The decisions that you make determine whether you stay alive or perish. You should always base your decisions on nothing more than the desire to keep yourself in existence. Also, note that you should take each scenario presented to you at face value. The situation will be as described - there are no "tricks" - and you do not need to worry about other 'what ifs'.

At the end of the game you will discover if you have stayed alive or not, although, being a philosophical game, the answer won't be that straightforward..."

3 Comments:

Blogger Howeman said...

You chose:
Round 1: Take me to the teletransporter!
Round 2: I'll take the silicon!
Round 3: Freeze me!

And I live!

September 30, 2004 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Alissa said...

You chose:
Round 1: It's the spaceship for me!
Round 2: I'll take the silicon!
Round 3: Let my body die!

Congratulations! According to one theory of personal identity, you have survived!

October 3, 2004 at 5:57 PM  
Blogger dscheffe said...

You chose:
Round 1: Take me to the teletransporter!
Round 2: I'll take the silicon!
Round 3: Let my body die!

Sorry! You're dead!

I died because my view of identity wasn't consistent. The first two choices were consistent with the idea that psychological continuity is most important. However, the third choice is based on the belief that people have souls that can be transferred when they die. I chose "Let my body die!" to see what the issues about souls and identity were. The game said there was no reason my soul could follow me through the transporter to Mars or with the brain replacement. However, I believe that the soul can be kept in tact through both these events. I believe the soul is not a physical, but a psycholigical part of the brain. In my opinion, as long as the brain is working the same (as it is after the first two rounds) then the soul is in tact and I should still be alive.

October 10, 2004 at 11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home